Creamy Bacon Mushroom Pasta
This recipe is great as a side dish or a main meal. Gluten, dairy and egg free. Can also be altered to be vegan.
12 oz gluten free spaghetti noddles
3 oz bacon bits (skip for vegan)
1 bundle of green onions
8 oz baby bella mushrooms
2 1/2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
4 oz Violife Vegan Feta Cheese
1 cup Violife Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
3 cups beef broth (use vegetable broth for vegan)
2 tbsp garlic oil
1/2 tsp browning and seasoning sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp light brown sugar
3 1/2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp vegan butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 tsp dried basil
1) In a large deep pan boil water. Break spaghetti in half. Follow directions on back of pasta box. Once cooked, drain pasta in colander and set aside. You will use this deep pan again.
2) While pasta is cooking, wash and slice mushrooms, chop green onion and baby spinach. Place all three vegetables on own plate or own bowl so they are separated.
3) In a large pan whisk corn starch into beef broth. Once fully mixed add brown sugar, salt, black pepper, basil and whisk.
4) Once spices are whisked into broth whisk in garlic oil, browning and seasoning sauce and balsamic vinegar.
5) Turn burner on medium to get the sauce started. Crumble in feta cheese, add butter and mozzarella shreds.
6) Keep an eye on your sauce as it melts and whisk every 30 seconds. If it seems like it isn't melting together turn the burner up a little. But be careful not to burn the bottom. Once sauce has all melted together and thickened, turn off heat. Let sit.
7) Your noodles should be done and drained by now. And noodles should be in a colander.
8) You will continue cooking in the same deep pan you used to boil noodles.
9) On medium heat add garlic oil and vegan butter. Melt butter and oil together.
10) Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until each side is lightly browned.
11) Add green onion to mushrooms and cook for additional 4-5 minutes.
12) Turn heat down to simmer. Add sauce and bacon bits to mushroom onion mixture. Mix well.
13) Fold in noodles and chopped spinach into the sauce. (some gluten free pastas are fragile so it may break into smaller pieces on its own while mixing it into the sauce)
14) Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir after a couple minutes of simmering and recover.
15) Stir or fold pasta. Cover and let sit off heat for 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: Add Grilled Chicken for extra protein.