Updated: Nov 11, 2020
These steak roll ups turn out tender and juicy. Great for an appetizer or a main coarse. Gluten free and dairy free.
Prep time: Set aside 2 1/2 hours
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 lbs unfrozen fresh flank steak
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1/2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp dried basil
1/8 cup worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp garlic oil
1/4 cup water
(1) Place your flank steak in the freezer for one and half hours. Make sure to not fully freeze your flank steak. Making your flank steak slightly frozen will make cutting and slicing the meat easier.
(2) Going against the grain, cut your meat into 5 strips. Then cut those strips in half so you get 5 more strips to work with. This way the meat isn't so thick.
(3) Pound each strip with a meat pounder to make the meat thinner and more tender.
(4) In a large bowl whisk brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, dried basil, worcestershire sauce, garlic oil and water.
(5) Add your strips of meat in the large bowl with the marinade, fully coat each strip, cover and place the bowl of marinating steak strips in the fridge for a half hour.
(6) Preheat oven to 400° F
(7) While your waiting for your steak to marinade, start cutting your vegetables into strips. You should not need more than half of each vegetable for this recipe.
(8) When your steak strips are done marinating, lay each strip out flat and place the vegetable strips on the end of the strips and roll up. Place on large baking sheet.
(9) Bake for 15 minutes.
Here is a picture of the recipe steps. Visuals always help me!
Side note: You will have left over vegetables. I suggest cutting them up, making a veggie stir fry or use them for kebabs.