Updated: Jul 30, 2022
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
3/4 cup cooked lentils
1 large sweet potato
1 large red pepper
1 large jalapeño
1 large tomato
1 bundle green onions
2 32 oz vegetable broth
12 oz tomato paste
1 tbps chili powder
3/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt (you can always add more later...depends on how salty you like things)
1 tbps garlic oil
1) Cook lentils if they are not already cooked. To cook the lentils follow the directions on the package.
2) If you are cooking lentils on the stove you can start cutting your vegetables.
3) In a large pot add vegetable broth and all spices listed above, tomato paste and garlic oil.
4) Peel and dice sweet potatoes into small cubes. Deseed red pepper and dice into small pieces. Dice jalapeño. I do not deseed my jalapeño because I like it spicy. Deseed jalapeño if you want it more mild. Bring sweet potatoes and peppers to a boil. Boil on medium-high uncovered for 12 minutes.
5) Dice tomato into small cubes and pat extra juice dry with paper towel. Using green parts only, chop green onions. Set both aside.
6) After the sweet potatoes and red pepper have been boiling for 12 minutes add the rest of your vegetables and boil on medium-high for additional 10 minutes.
7) Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Tips: Top with coconut milk or vegan sour cream. Use gluten free bread or tortillas to dip into the chili.