Updated: Nov 2
Thanksgiving and Christmas are major mashed potato and gravy holidays. I think my family eats their weight in mashed potatoes and gravy over the holidays. This recipe is gluten and dairy free. So everyone can enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Serves about 4-6 people
5 pounds Russet Potatoes
1 1/2 cup potato water
1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
8 tbsp vegan butter
1) Peel, wash and cut potatoes. The smaller the chunks of potatoes the faster they will cook.
2) Boil potatoes in a large pot. I boil my potatoes until they fall apart when I poke them with a fork.
3) Once the potatoes are done boiling. Drain the water. Make sure to set aside 2 cup of potato water. My recipe only calls for 1 1/2 cups of potato water but it doesn't hurt to set aside a little extra so you can get the consistency that you want.
4) Put the potatoes back in the pot you boiled them in.
5) Add the potato water, salt, garlic powder and butter.
6) Using a potato masher. Mash all the ingredients together. Then use an electric hand mixer on low and mix until all ingredients are fully combined. I do this for about 3 minutes.
7) Once the potatoes are all mixed. Test the salt level and add more if you desire.
Tip: Double the recipe for a larger crowd.